5 Best Custom ROMs for Android Tablets
1. CyanogenMod ROM
CyanogenMod team is one of the most popular custom ROM that packs some powerful tweaks and offers lightweight UI. There are no whacky customizations all work performed on it is just simple and fluid. Most of the users who love the Stock Android or AOSP based firmware that basically runs on Nexus devices, prefer CyanogenMod ROM once after getting the root access.
Though, Cyanogen releases the ROM only to selected devices that also after testing if everything works fine on the device. If you own a Samsung or HTC or Nexus smartphone or tablet there should be CyanogenMod based custom ROM available for your device for sure.
2. AOKP ROM (Android Open Kang Project)
AOSP is maintained by Google and there is a fully open source customizable version AOKP. It has all the freedom to tweak and customize, unlike CyanogenMod. But AOKP is the tweaked version of AOSP, while the features of AOPK and CyanogenMod is almost same but AOKP packs some great customization options like Custom toggles, Vibration patterns, navigation rings.
There are many other ROMs available for different devices which are based on CyanogenMod and AOKP and gaining popularity because of a bulk of included features and customization options.
3. PAC-Man ROM
PAC-Man is three in one ROM, means the ROM includes features of Paranoid Android ROM (which is mentioned below), AOKP ROM(mentioned just above) and CyanogenMod (mentioned at the top of the list). Don’t think its too much, but the developers wanted to merge all the good features to gather without much hush controls to confuse the users into one ROM. Sensible settings within the ROM offer better control over the system and interface as well. And the main USP is that you are getting lots of good features hand-picked from the 3 custom ROM in one pack.
4. Paranoid Android ROM
Paranoid custom ROM developers team are big fans of AOKP and they build the ROM by getting inspired to them but they disappointed users with the lack of customization and eye candy features we generally want in a custom ROM. But then after, they picked up AOKP completely and ported some of the most amazing customization features and controls that made Paranoid a big hit. Let’s talk about a few features that make Paranoid better than CM and AOKP.
Features of Paranoid Android ROM
- Hybrid Engine: One of the most loved features of this ROM is the support for the tablet interface to Android Phablets. They introduced per-app density so that you can set up DPI on a per-app basis. So every app has its own graphical size and you can use apps as Phone or Tablet interface.
- Pie Control: After Hybrid engine, they introduced another feature called Pie Control, they removed both upper and bottom bar from the screen to run every app in full screen, just to get the more control and command over the options within the app.
- Halo Notifications: It is another additional interface to show notification from apps. It works like the Facebook chat heads.
5. Nameless ROM
Don’t for the name, see what features you are about to get on your Android Tablet or smartphone. The main goal of the NamelessROM is to offer quality development for Android devices, phones and tablets alike. NamelessROM maintains features and functions of several well-known open-source, AOSP-based ROMs, as well as many features of our own.
NamelessROM = endless possibilities. Unless you have an iPhone, then you’re out of luck.
There has always been an advantage of having Android device rather than available iOS device or Windows Phone because of the features that allow us to customize accordingly while other platforms have only a few options.
In the last couple of years, we have seen outstanding growth of Android tablets as it offers bigger and HD display and let users do multiple things at a time that is not possible on the smartphone but sometimes we have seen tablet also requires performance optimization, power savings to work all day long without any interruptions and also we sometimes go for getting more features on the tablet but for a normal user there is only limited options to for but if you have planned or running the rooted high-end Android tablet like Nexus 9 or Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, Galaxy Tab S, NVIDIA Tab Shield etc then you are eligible to enhance your tablet’s performance by installing custom ROM on it with the help of any custom recovery.
There are several advantages of running rooted device other than installing or flashing ROM, see below to know about benefits of Rooting, similarly custom ROMs also offers added features compared to a normal device but selecting a good and working ROM for device is a big deal, sometimes you get a ROM that starts behaving uncommonly and leads to again install the Stock ROM but this post will help you get the best Custom ROMs for Android Tablets, all the listed custom ROM below in this post support devices like Nexus tablets (All series), Galaxy tab series, Nvidia tablets, Xperia Tablets, Lenovo Tablets and more devices that has got root access.
Benefits of rooting
- With the help of root access, one can remove those apps which are pre-installed by your network provider or by a manufacturer.
- Because of rooting you can also get the free storage space, rooted apps are available for efficient memory management.
- After rooting user can also update their phone to the latest version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM).
- It provides customization options when you use your new administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Rooting also increases the battery life of the Smartphone because those running constantly can be removed).
Basically, a ROM is the firmware package on your device which consists of the Launcher, User Interface, apps that control the hardware etc. So there are lots of codes and APK files packaged in a zip file that is flexible using custom Recovery. A custom ROM can only be installed on a device that has root access, custom ROM recovery installed on it and the bootloader is unlocked.(Only selective models should have unlocked boot loader, which you have to do while rooting or installing custom Recovery on your device.)
According to the users over the XDA, listed ROMs are also working on devices like HTC One M8, One M7, Google Nexus 6,5,4, Samsung Galaxy Note Series, Xperia Z series and more so if you want to install these ROM on a smartphone rather than the tablet can go for it.