How to Jailbreak iOS 9 – Working Guide for iPhone & iPad
Well, well, even after all the naysayers said it couldn’t be done, it looks like the recently launched iOS 9 has been jailbroken.
The team that came through with the iOS 9 jailbreak is none other than the Pangu team, the same team behind the iOS 8 jailbreak. Not only does it jailbreak your iPhone or iPad but it’ll also install Cydia on your device, the app store for jailbreak tweaks, and that’s kind of the whole point, really.
If you aren’t familiar, jailbreaking lets you to modify every aspect of iOS through the downloading of “tweaks” from the Cydia app store. These tweaks can then offer you to alter all of your app icon shapes, change the UI completely, get free Wi-Fi tethering, and a whole lot more that you are not able to with your iPhone or iPad.
Also, you can easily undo the jailbreak as well, so there’s really no reason to give it a try (just make sure to do a backup first). Follow the step by step guide to Jailbreak iOS 9 which is working fine on both iPhone and iPad.
I. Things to be Done
1. This tutorial only works on Windows at the moment, so either wait for the Pangu team to release a Mac version or borrow a friend’s PC to do this.
II. Update Your Phone to the latest iOS 9.0.2
You need to be on iOS 9.0.2 for this to work. If you aren’t already, you can update by doing one of the following methods.
Update over Wifi
If iOS 9.0.2 is the latest version of iOS when you are doing this tutorial you can update over Wifi by going to Settings > General > Software Update and updating through there.
Update Through iTunes
If a new version of iOS came out after this article was published, but you are still BELOW iOS 9.0.2 (you can upgrade, but not downgrade), or if you are currently jailbroken on an older version of iOS, you can use iTunes to manually install iOS 9.0.2 by doing the following.
1. Head here and select your device’s firmware in the drop down box under iPhone and select Download (remember to select the firmware for your specific iPhone model, select CDMA if there is an option for it if you have Sprint or Verizon and select GSM for all other carriers).
2. With the device plugged in to the computer via USB, turn it off.
3. Hold down Power and the Home button at the same time until you see the screen go from the Apple logo to black (approx. 10 seconds) then let go of the Power button but continue to hold the Home button until iTunes pops up a dialog box saying it has discovered an iPhone in recovery mode.
4. In iTunes, select your iPhone from the sidebar on the left.
5. Now, hold Option on your keyboard (or Shift for Windows) and click Restore.
6. When the selector appears, choose the firmware file you downloaded earlier and click OK.
7. When the device restarts and is done, select the last backup you have when prompted to restore your apps, contacts, etc.
III. Backup Your iPhone Data
1. Open iTunes.
2. Plug your iPhone in via USB cable.
3. Click on your iPhone in the sidebar on the left under devices.
4. Click on Back Up Now under Backups in the Summary Tab.
IV. Prepare your iPhone for Jailbreak
1. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode.
2. Enter in your current PIN.
3. Tap Turn Passcode Off to disable the passcode so it doesn’t interfere with the process.
4. Go to Settings > iCloud.
5. Turn off Find My iPhone (you can turn it and your passcode back on when the jailbreak is done).
6. Finally, swipe up from off the bottom of the screen to get the control center and turn on Airplane Mode by tapping the plane icon.
V. Jailbreak iOS 9 via Pangu 9
1. Head to the developer’s site below, click on download and save the exe file to your desktop.
2. Right-click the exe file once downloaded and click Run As Administrator.
3. Plug in the iPhone/iPod/iPad via USB cable to the computer and wait for Pangu to recognize it.
4. When it does, click the Jailbreak button and wait for it to do its thing.
5. Once done, tap on Cydia on the phone and let it do it’s thing.
6. Done! Jailbroken! Now, head to our Jailbreak Tweaks section to get the favorite tweaks from the Cydia store you should give a try now that you have this new found freedom. Enjoy!
Let me know if it worked for you or if you’re having issues in the comments below! And if it helped you please share it it’s greatly appreciated!