After introducing Nexus series smartphone, Google has started a new Android One series as well with affordable price tag. Google begin the Android One journey from India by collaborating with three establish Indian smartphone brands(Karbonn, Spice, and Micromax) to manufacture devices.
While launching the Android One devices, claims that the device will get guaranteed Android update in time but for now there is no news from the search giant about the Lollipop update for these devices, though Spice has revealed the expected time frame of getting the update which is 2nd-3rd week of January.
However, if you can’t wait until January to taste the lollipop android then this tutorial is for you. Here you will find something beneficial that helps you get the Android Lollipop based CM 12 ROM on Android One smartphones (Karbonn Sparkle V, Micromax Canvas A1, Spice Dream UNO). Thanks to varun.chitre15 from XDA for porting the CM12 ROM on the Android One devices which bring the material design features and more other Lollipop features. But to get any custom ROM of an Android device requires root access and installed Custom Recovery and to easier your task we came up with a simple and working guide to you to easily root and install CWM recovery in Android One devices.
The guide involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may damage your device. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Now let’s go into the rooting of these smartphones. First things first here are the downloads you’ll need to access root and install a custom recovery on your Android One handset.
Things to be Done
- The tutorial is only for Android One devices, so don’t try it on any other device, it may cause device damage.
- Your device must be charged up to 70%.
- You must have to create the backup of all your data somewhere on your PC so that after getting the ROM you can restore all your previous data.
How to root and install CWM recovery in Android One devices
- Download the Kingo root tool and install it on your Windows PC by double clicking on the .exe file.
- After installing the app, open it on your Desktop and it will ask you to connect your device to your PC, connect it via USB cable and let the tool to recognize your device.
- Once it detects your device, just click on root to begin the rooting process.
- After rooting click on the Finish button to reboot your device with root access.
Congratulations!! You have root access on your device. Now that the hard part is over, let’s move over to installing a custom recovery.
Install CWM Recovery on Android One Devices
- First thing to do is to unlock the boot loader. Follow this guide to first install ADB fast boot on your Windows PC.
- After doing that perform the commands in command prompt by opening it on your fastboot working folder.
fastboot oem unlock fastboot format userdata
adb reboot bootloader
- Now extract the CWM recovery file and copy the recovery.img (If .img file name is different, make it to recovery.img) file to the working Fastboot folder and type the following command.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Finally rejoice because you now have root and Custom Recovery in your device and the world of Custom ROMs await you.