Within hours since the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F started receiving the Android 5.0 Lollipop update. It seldom happens that an OEM like Samsung releases a major update like Lollipop within a couple of weeks of the official release from the Google but it has really happened! And now, if you have already updated your Galaxy S5 SM-G900F and missing root access on it, you are at the right place, follow the steps mentioned below to get started with rooted Galaxy S5 again.
Benefits of rooting
- With the help of root access, one can remove those apps which are pre-installed by your network provider or by manufacturer.
- Because of rooting you can also get the free storage space, rooted apps are available for efficient memory management.
- After rooting user can also update their phone to the latest version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM).
- It provides customization options when you use your new administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Rooting also increases the battery life of the Smartphone because those running constantly can be removed).
Things to be Done
- This will void the warranty of your device.
- Download and install proper USB driver.
- The process mentioned below requires a Windows PC.
- You must have enabled the USB debugging on your device (Settings > Developer options > USB debugging).
- For security reasons, create a complete backup of all your data.
- Download the latest TWRP recovery file with .tar extension from the official site: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-klte.tar
- Also download the latest SuperSU zip package from Chainfire’s website and copy the zip file to your phone’s internal or external SD storage: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip
- Download the latest version of Odin: Download – Mirror
Root and Install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S5 SM-G900F on Lollipop 5.0
- Extract the Odin zip file, go through the Odin extracted folder and double click Odin executable( .exe file) and it’ll open.
- Click on AP and choose the TWRP (.tar file) that you have downloaded from the above link.
- Make sure to uncheck Repartition if it’s already checked in the Odin.
- Checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.
- Switch off the device completely and then reboot into Download mode. To do so, hold down Volume DOWN+Home and Power buttons together.
- Connect the device to the PC.
- As soon as you connect, the Odin window will display the acquired ID:COM port on the top-left and message box shall display Added!! message.
- Click on Start and the process will begin.
- It will take a few seconds to complete the flashing process and upon completion will display a PASS!!message.
- After flashing the TWRP custom Recovery on your Galaxy S5, you need to go into the recovery mode to flash the SuperSu Root file, see below, how to do that, make sure that you have transferred the SuperSU downloaded zip file to your device’s SD card.
- Turn off your S5 and boot it into download mode. You can do so by holding down the Volume Up + Home +Power buttons together till the screen turns up. Release the Power key after getting Samsung logo on the screen but keep the other two keys pressed till you see the TWRP recovery menu.
- Tap the Install button, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip file and select it.
- Confirm the installation to begin rooting.
Enjoy! If you wish to verify root access, just install the Root Checker app and run it.