Root Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen (2015) with TWRP Recovery
A couple of weeks ago Motorola released what can be presumed as one of the hottest launches into the budget section, the 3rd generation Moto G (2015). The Moto G flagship have a huge public demand because they offer quite decent specifications and hardware at a really competitive price point along with on time software updates.
Owing to this huge public demand the new Moto G has features such as a 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 chipset, 2GB of RAM on board, as well as a 13MP main camera with 1080p video capture and 5MP front-facing unit.
Also with IPX7 water-resistant body and customizable colors for the back it manages to trump most of its competition. Now with every new phone launched the developer community stat instantly to work on how to root it to expand its functionalities. And today we bring you how to Root and Install TWRP Custom Recovery on the new 3rd Gen Moto G.
Here we are going to take the first step towards exploring the device to the optimum level by getting root access, follow this post to easily root Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen with TWRP recovery.
First of all you will need to ensure a few things before we start flashing:
- Confirm you are using an unlocked Moto G 3rd Gen
- If you haven’t unlocked the bootloader then see here
Note: Any carrier-specific model might not work with this method. User is to perform this at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have the necessary Motorola USB device drivers installed (Download here).
- Check if you have at least 80-85% of battery charge. We don’t want the phone dying in the middle of the process.
- If you have done this process before on other devices then you must be familiar with adb and fastboot. Ensure that you have it installed.
For those who aren’t familiar with adb and fastboot, please refer to our detailed guide on setting up ADB and Fastboot on Windows within seconds.
- Enable USB-Debugging from Developer Options in the Settings menu.
- If you cannot find Developer Options, then you’ll have to first enable it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap it 7 times until you see a small notification that you have enabled it.
- Then return to the Settings menu, you should find Developer Options there. Open it and enable USB Debugging.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your personal data and apps as all data will be erased!
- For Contacts, Calendar and People details use Google Accounts Sync to backup
Benefits of rooting
- With the help of root access, one can remove those apps which are pre-installed by your network provider or by manufacturer.
- Because of rooting you can also get the free storage space, rooted apps are available for efficient memory management.
- After rooting user can also update their phone to the latest version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM).
- It provides customization options when you use your new administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Rooting also increases the battery life of the Smartphone because those running constantly can be removed).
Files to Download
You will need to download these files on keep them on your Desktop.
Flash TWRP Recovery on Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen (2015)
After preparing your device along with all the required files we can start flashing.
Step 1 – Connect your Moto G 3rd Gen to your PC using the USB Data cable.
Step 2 – Open Command Prompt and type the following command
You should be getting a message saying ‘List of devices attached’ along with your device name. This will confirm that adb has recognized your device.
If you don’t see your device it means you haven’t properly installed your device USB drivers.
Step 3 – Next reboot your device in fastboot/bootloader mode by typing this command in Command prompt
adb reboot bootloader
Step 4 – Now change the directory of your Command prompt to your Desktop by typing this command
Step 5 – Type the following command next and press Enter
fastboot flash recovery twrp-osprey-2.8.7-test1.img
This will flash TWRP custom recovery on your Moto G 3rd Gen replacing the stock recovery.
Step 6 – Once the flashing is complete, select RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu to enter Recovery Mode, use the volume keys to navigate.
Step 7 – If you see the TWRP logo, then you have successfully performed the steps on you now have TWRP custom recovery installed on your Moto G 3rd Gen!
Step 8 – You will now see the TWRP Touch Recovery Menu, Select ‘Reboot’ to reboot you device and exit from the recovery.
Now, before going into the rooting section, first make sure that you have copied the SuperSU zip file on your phone’s SD card. Once done, Switch off your phone and switch it on again by holding the Volume Down + Power buttons together, you will directly enter the TWRP Touch Recovery Menu.
How to Root Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen 2015
Now that we have successfully flashed the TWRP custom recovery you have the freedom to start flashing custom ROMs, kernels and other modifications, it’s time to move ahead and root the device, so that we can start using root applications.
Step 1 – Once the device boots up normally, re-connect it to you PC using the USB cable.
Step 2 – Copy the SuperSU.zip file you had downloaded earlier from your Desktop into the root directory of your internal storage.
Step 3 – Reboot you Moto G 3rd Gen into Recovery Mode (given above).
Step 4 – Select ‘Install’ and scroll all the way to the bottom till you see the ‘SuperSU.zip’ file.
Step 5 – Select the .zip file and swipe the bar to confirm. This will start flashing the .zip file.
Step 6 – Once the flashing finished you will see the ‘Reboot System’ option, click it to reboot your device.
Once the device reboots you will see the SuperSU app appear in your app menu. You can also confirm if your device is rooted by installing and running the Root Checker application.